Acupuncture for IVF, IUI & ovulation induction
Research shows acupuncture for IVF, IUI and ovulation induction
improves implantation rates by as much as 60%
and on-going pregnancy rates by reducing the likelihood of miscarriage.
If you are having fertility treatment and you’d like to increase your chances of a positive outcome, you can be assured that you will be in good hands. Over years of working with consultants and nurses, we have developed high quality, supportive, fertility acupuncture treatment.
It is our opinion that acupuncture must not be another thing making large demands on you through this process, so we tailor treatment to your individual needs. We start by finding out what it is that you need physically, mentally and emotionally and discuss a suitable approach with you.
How could Fertility Acupuncture help women?
- Improve blood quality and circulation to your ovaries and uterus
- Reduce side effects of hormonal treatment
- Reduce chances of ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage
- Calm your mind and relax your body
How could Fertility Acupuncture help men?
- Increase count & motility
- Reduce morphology
- Improve fertilisation rates
- Reduce likelihood of miscarriage
When do I need to have treatment?
During you Initial Consultation we go through your medical history and any test results you have, and combine these with a Chinese medical diagnosis to develop an individual treatment plan to suit you. Treatment is generally advised every 1 to 2 weeks, ideally starting before your fertility treatment cycle and throughout. We often also recommend you continue acupuncture once a +ve pregnancy test has been done, at least until 12 weeks, depending on circumstances.
It is often beneficial to treat both partners and will discuss this with you. If money is an issue, we work how best to divide up treatment between you, to optimise your chances of a successful outcome.
Women - there are 2 stages to fertility acupuncture:
1. Depending on your medical history, we ideally recommend you start fertility acupuncture at least one menstrual cycle before you start your fertility treatment and continue through each cycle of treatment.
2. For all cycles of IVF, ICSI, IUI or ovulation induction, we recommend acupuncture around the time that an embryo would be trying to implant. Even if you have had no acupuncture up to this point, some well timed treatment at this stage can be really helpful.
Click here to find out more about timing these treatments.
Men - we recommend that you start fertility acupuncture at least 3 wks before you need to provide a sample and continue throughout each cycle.
Where do the needles go?
We generally use mostly 'distal' points with some 'local' ones. 'Distal' points are on your arms and legs, generally below your elbow and knees. 'Local' points (for fertility) are mostly on your front and back around your abdomen, often just above or below your navel.
I will always discuss what points I am going to use first and make sure that you feel comfortable with these.
About Rick Mudie BSc (Hons), BSc (Oriental Med), MBAcC
Rick is a traditional Chinese acupuncturist with over 20 years clinical experience & is a member of the British Acupuncture Council (BAcC).
He is a Course Leader, Clinical Supervisor and Lecturer at The International College of Oriental Medicine (ICOM), the UK's oldest acupuncture college. He lectures and teaches Gynaecology and Obstetrics at ICOM.
He has been using fertility acupuncture to improve conception rates and reduce the likelihood of miscarriage since 2004 and has worked within and alongside The Agora Gynaecology and Fertility Clinic, in Hove, since 2010.
Read more about Rick.